Today I turn 25 which does feel like a hallmark birthday to me. I’ve never really enjoyed my birthday. It’s always so hot and uncomfortable and it typically makes me anxious, but I think lots of people struggle with their birthdays. This year I feel a lot more positively, though. For the first time in years I feel some peace and happiness and I live alone so if I want to celebrate at 12 AM EST then I can!
Here are twenty five things about the last year of my life or maybe about the next year of my life. Not sure yet.
- The song I listened to most this year was Deep Gulch by Hard Girls. I listened to it 479 times. I wrote a whole newsletter about how much that Hard Girls album has meant to me, so second place goes to Carry Ends The Call by John K. Samson. I just listened to it one more time to make it an even 300. I might like his solo album more than anything else he’s ever done, but don’t tell anybody I said that.
- My favorite show I went to this past year was in New York at Mercury Lounge. Owen Ashworth played a set of his Christmas songs from across the Advance Base and Casiotone catalogs. Joe Pera did comedy. I drove up with my friend Ivan. We got pizza afterwards. It took longer to drive up than we were in the venue and it was beautiful. Every time I see Owen play is my favorite show at least for a while.
- I’m bummed out Joe Pera’s show hasn’t been renewed. It’s the only tv show I really like watching.
- One habit I’ve picked up this year is whenever I’m having a really bad day I turn on HBO’s Girls. I like to wish them the worst. Not a single redeeming character in that whole show. Controlled mean spirited behavior.
- The best thing I ate this past year was the Fennel Salad at Middle Child Clubhouse. It’s a perfect experience.
- The best drink I had this year was the lavender spritz at Martha. Or maybe it’s just the cocktail I’ve had the most. Either way.
- The worst drink I had this year was when I didn’t know a cocktail had coconut water in it because I just ordered the same one as my friend Mel since we typically have similar taste and my mouth went numb.
- My favorite episode of Endless Scroll (the podcast I co-host, available anywhere you get your podcasts) that we did this past year was either the one we did with Steven Hyden about The Hold Steady or our secret santa episode.
- The podcast really is the friends we met along the way. (Eric, Eli, Michaels Cayla, music critic and author Steven Hyden, etc)
- I went to Pittsburgh twice in the last year to see my podcast co-hosts. Driving across Pennsylvania is awful, but I think what being single has done for me is that I finally feel like a confident driver. Forced independence or something like that.
- Not that independent though because my windshield wipers only got replaced after a man I know gave me a set of new ones for free and they sat in my backseat until a different man I know put them on my car. It’s good to have room to grow.
- I made 4 zines in the last year. I’m happy with that.
- I’m excited to move back to west philly and to live with Eric. I like my job, but working from home and not seeing anybody unless I make a concerted effort to go out is hard for me. It’ll be good.
- I’m most excited to hear the new Frankie Cosmos album. I think I might have an advance of it, but I don’t think that’s the same experience. There are few bands aside from that one that I have such a rich internal relationship with.
- I think I finally feel at peace with not wanting to Be A Writer. It’s freeing to not feel like I should want to pitch and slog through when I obviously don’t want to.
- This year I learned that I can like breakfast. I never really ever ate breakfast. Now I enjoy it and I enjoy prepping my cold brew and making syrups and foaming milk.
- I’m looking forward to finding somewhere new to buy flowers in the neighborhood I’ll be living in next month. Even if I always let my flowers die really quick I still like them.
- I hope this year I buy some overalls I really like.
- I hope this year I get more tattoos.
- I hope this year I go to the doctor, like, so much before I have to pay for my own insurance next year.
- I hope this year I get a MUCH more comfortable couch.
- I hope I get to go to some new contemporary art museums.
- I’m going to the Catskills today. I’ve never spent much time in New York State and I’m excited to be away from the city.
- I’m going to watch Chris climb at least one tree and hopefully drink some wine.
- [Jeff Rosenstock Voice]
If you'd like to subsidize me driving up to New York State and having a nice time eating/drinking/driving (not all at once) my venmo is @miranda-reinert. Thank you and goodbye!